Colectivo Sustento: collective resistance
We welcome you to the COLECTIVO SUSTENTO (SUSTAIN COLLECTIVE) website. Our collective was founded in September 2012 in Santiago-Chile, and is a fusion of long-term community theatre and social activist experience. In an ongoing learning process, we are creating a shared future, in resistance to the neoliberal economic system, in harmony with people and nature. We work towards social justice, motivated by community arts and popular education methodologies, and permaculture principles.
Our resistance is manifest in our collective way of defining what we do, how we create and relate to each other, with great affection and respect, and with the deep trust that we will find support in the Sustento network.
This is what we do….
- Fénix & Ilusiones | Continuous community theatre work in the Colina 1 men’s prison, since 2002. Performances, tours, youth projects, collaborations, training.
- Huerto Sustento, our community garden | Sustainability, Fair Groceries, training, volunteering, education. Verdivereda, the footpath garden | Promoting community gardening and composting.
- Youth work, with boys and young men in juvenile detention | Theatre workshops, theatre & reflection tours with Fénix & Ilusiones, gardening workshops.
- Sustento theatre-arts | Our own creative production. Current project: “Gestar” (since 2021).
- Collaborations | Local and international projects.
- Training | Local and international professional practice opportunities.
- Writings & Reflection | The critical reflection that sustains our action: conferences, seminars, workshops, research, pedagogy.
Colectivo Sustento is a legal entity
Colectivo Sustento is legally registered in Chile as an NGO (non-government organisation) since 2015. For reasons of transparency, here is the link to download our Annual Report 2018 (in Spanish):